Ive modified this recipe from Chinese cook Ching He Huangs Chinese Food in Minutes. You need to take great care not to burn the sticky honey glaze so constantly monitor it while its in the oven. I didnt and ended up with quite a blackened, charred skin. It still tasted lovely, though. Also, I couldnt find a shop near me that sold Chinese wheat flour pancakes, so I used small round flour tortillas instead.
1 medium duck
2 litres boiling water
For the glaze
5 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
For the Peking Duck Sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
6 tbsp hoi sin sauce
6 tbsp caster sugar
6 tbsp water
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp cornflour blended with 1 tbsp cold water
Pancakes/tortilla wraps, sliced cucumber and sliced spring onions
1. Place the duck on a rack over a roasting tin and pour the boiling water over it. Discard the water and pat the duck dry with kitchen towel.
2. With a sharp knife, stab the duck skin all over, which will help the fat to be released during cooking. Mix together all the ingredients for the glaze and brush over the duck, inside and out. Leave to dry and glaze for about 10 mins, then repeat. Use most of the glaze but reserve about 5 tbsp. Ideally, leave the duck uncovered in the fridge overnight to allow the glaze to set.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Place the duck on a rack in a roasting tin, transfer to the oven and cook for 45 mins. Turn the duck over and brush with the reserved marinade. IMPORTANT: Check that the bird is not getting too dark, then cook for a further 40-45 mins until the skin is crisp. Carefully remove the duck from the oven and transfer to a rack and cover with tin foil to rest. Pour off the duck fat into a heatproof container.
4. To make the sauce, heat a pan and add all the ingredients for the sauce except the blended cornflour. When the sauce starts to bubble slightly, add the blended cornflour and stir well to thicken. Set aside and leave to cool.
5. Carve the duck and shred the meat. Warm the pancakes/wraps and serve the duck with a dollop of sauce and a few slices of cucumber and spring onions.