To be absolutely honest, I thought Id made a mess of these when I first took them out of the oven. I imagined they would turn out like Yorkshire Pudding towers but instead they came out like cupcakes with sausages stuck in them.
The proof though is in the, ahem, pudding and my kids snaffled them down like contestants in a hot-dog eating competition.
Theyre dead easy to make, but just go easy on the oil I went a glug too far.
4 frankfurter sausages
200g plain flour (approx)
200ml milk (approx)
1. In a mixing bowl, add the flour and create a well in the middle. Add the eggs and beat to a lumpy paste before adding the milk a little at a time. Keep mixing until you end up with a smooth batter than sticks to the whisk. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Take a compartmentalised muffin tin and pour a little oil into each cup, just enough to cover the bottom. Put in the oven and heat up until very hot, approx. 15 mins.
3. Chop the franfurters into quarter lengths.
4. Remove the tray from the oven and using a ladle, pour in some of the batter mixture, until about a third-to-half full. Add 2-3 sausages to each compartment as quickly as you can, then return to the oven.
5. Cook for approx. 15-20 mins, resisting the temptation to peek, until the batter is risen, golden brown and crispy. Serve with salad.