I’m pretty excited to share this recipe for Vegan Summer S’more Cups with you. I haven’t really been feeling Summer this year, so I’ve been trying to do lots of Summery things to help get me pumped. Like seeing tons of movies, basking in Summer produce, and eating treats like these.
S’mores are such a classic Summer food, and one that barely makes sense to eat any other season. I’m all about seasonal eating so these little snacks were definitely good for my Summer grouches. They’re full of wonderful s’more goodness without the hassle of, well, making s’mores. Having a way to make something s’more-esque without a fire is pretty awesome for city dwellers like me.
And these are definitely s’more-esque.
For instance, the cookie cup is a real graham cracker cookie – not chocolate chip or sugar. Also, the vegan marshmallows have that roasty-toasty, gooey quality that make s’mores so wonderful. What’s extra cool is that it doesn’t go away after the cookies cool. They remain gooey and wonderful to the last bite. It’s impossible to be anything but Summer-happy while eating these!
Related post: Homemade Graham Crackers and Icing
So this one’s for my fellow Summer curmudgeons who just need some help getting into it. If these don’t make you a little more excited to enjoy the second half of Summer, I don’t know what will.
It’s also for all you city slickers without easy access to fire. You can have s’mores too!
Vegan Summer S’more Cups
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour or graham flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Bee Free Honee, or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon water
- about 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 72 mini vegan marshmallows (around half a bag)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and very liberally grease two 12 cup mini muffin pans with spray oil.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the flours, baking soda and salt. Set aside.3. Cream together the Earth Balance and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in the honee and water. 4. Add the flours to the sugar mixture, and mix with a flexible spatula to combine. It should just come together without being overly wet. Roll the dough into a ball, and cut off a little less than a third of it for later. 5. Cut the dough into two pieces. Take the first piece and cut it into thirds. Cut those thirds in half and then in half again for 12 equal pieces. Repeat with the other dough piece for 24 pieces.6. Roll each small piece of dough into a ball, and place each ball into its own cup in the muffin pans. Press each ball down and up the sides of muffin cups to form little dough cups. 7. Cover the bottom of the cups with a few chocolate chips. Top the chocolate chips with 3 marshmallows. Crumble pieces of the reserved cookie dough over the marshmallows, and top the whole thing with an extra chocolate chip.
8. Bake for about 7-8 minutes. The marshmallows should look quite large and toasty, but they’ll shrink as they cool. Allow the s’more cups to cool in the pans for at least ten minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely before storing.
9. Store your vegan s’more cups in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.
Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Inspiration Monday Party | Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop | Merry Monday Link Party | Pin Worthy Wednesday