35mins – Prep time: 20 mins – Cooking time: 15mins
- 6 large potatoes (I used maris piper, the starchier the better)
- 6 frankfurters
- 1 large onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 80g parmigiano reggiano
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- Kebab sticks
- Deep fat fryer
- Peel the potatoes and onions, then grate them. Place the mixture in a clean tea towel and make into a bag, squeezing out as much excess moisture as you can. Then squeeze some more. Leave for a couple of minutes, then try squeezing again.
- Grate the parmigiano reggiano into the potato and onion mix, add the salt, pepper and beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Preheat your deep fat fryer to 170°C
- Slide your frankfurters onto the sticks. Take a handful of the mixture and gently squeeze it onto the frankfurters.Keep going until each one is covered evenly. If it doesn’t stick, you haven’t strained enough water out!
- Depending on how big your fryer is, put in two potato dogs at a time, cooking for around 5 minutes. They’re cooked when they’re golden brown.
- Place on a piece of kitchen roll to cool a little. Dip in a little ketchup and eat whilst still warm.