A very simple and satisfying midweek meal. The star of this dish are the fried courgette pakoras, which are deliciously crisp with a juicy interior. The Parmesan sauce is a great dip for both the chicken and the courgettes.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, skin on
For the Parmesan Lemon Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200ml double cream
100g Parmesan cheese, grated
Zest of two lemons
Juice of 1 of the lemons
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the courgettes
1-2 medium-large courgette, cut into thick batons
100g gram flour
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
Half tsp salt
Water, approx. 200ml, to make a batter with the consistence of double cream
500ml sunflower or vegetable oil
1. Add the olive oil to a large frying and cook the chicken skin-side down, for approx 12-15 mins, until the chicken is tender but not dry. Turn two or three times during cooking to ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small saucepan, gently cook the garlic in the oil for 1-2 mins, then add the cream, lemon zest and juice, then the Parmesan. Stir until everything is combined, then season with pepper.
3. Make the batter for the courgettes by mixing the gram flour, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper together, then gradually adding water and whisking until you reach the desired consistency. Dip the courgette batons into the batter and thoroughly coat.
4. Add the sunflower or vegetable oil to a large frying pan and heat until a drop of the batter mixture sizzles. Use a pair of tongs to carefully lower the courgettes into the oil. Cook for 2-3 mins, until the batter is crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
6. Serve by carving the chicken into thick slices and drizzling over the cream. I also made some diced mini-roast potatoes, parboiled for 7 mins, then cooked in ghee in a hot oven for 20 mins, until crisp and golden.