Sombrero cocktail is a wonderful way to enjoy Kahlua with milk. It is an easy to mix drink and perfect for an after dinner cocktail or when you just want a soft and light drink.
It really isn’t much simpler than adding a shot of coffee liquor to a short glass of milk on the rocks. That is essentially all that the Hat is and is a casual drinking pleasure.
As with all drinks, there are a few substitutions that can be made. If you prefer, use a coffee brandy like that from Maine producer Allen’s. Also, if you want to make your hat a little thicker, choose the cream over the milk.
No matter how you end up taking your Hat, it is a fabulous drink. Think of it as a slight variation on Russian white. Mix and enjoy!Print
- Pour Kahlua or coffee brandy into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice
- Fill with cream or milk
How to do it
- Pour Kahlua or coffee brandy into an old-fashioned glass filled with ice.
- Fill with cream or milk.
Beyond the original Kahlua
Kahlua may be the best-known coffee liquor on the liquor shelf, but it’s not the only one. In fact, the Kahlua brand itself makes some very interesting variations on the original.
- Kahlua Special – Richer coffee flavor (dark espresso) with 35% ABV (test 70).
- Kahlua Midnight – Similar to the original Kahlua, this is a ‘black coffee liquor’ that is also 70 proof.)
Kahlua also produces some flavors like French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Mocha, and Salted Caramel. These can come and go from the market as the brand continues to experiment with new variations.
Kahlua Substitutions: 4 Artisan Coffee Spirits You Must Try
You’ll also find other great coffee liqueurs, and many drinkers will argue that they are superior to Kahlua. Coffee has become a popular new option for small artisan distilleries and these are truly some of the best coffee liqueurs you can find right now.
- Slow Cooker Coffee Liqueur – A cold brewed coffee liqueur, Firelit will make you rethink what coffee liqueur can (and should be). It is one of the best on the market.
- Leopold Bros. French Press-Style American Coffee Liquor: If you like French press coffee, this liquor is for you because it starts in a 25-liter press similar to your kitchen press.
- St. George Spirits NOLA Coffee Liqueur : Drinking coffee in New Orleans is a different experience and captured perfectly in this bottle.
- New Deal Coffee Liquor: Working with a coffee shop near your Portland, Oregon distillery, New Deal continues to impress with a perfect coffee liquor.
How strong is the Hat?
Kahlua varies according to the test depending on the country in which it is sold. In the United States, it is 20% ABV (test of 40).
If we poured 3 ounces of milk, that would make the Average Hat a casual 6% ABV (12 tests). This drink is among the best low temperature proof cocktails you will find.
- Calories: 193
- Sodium: 16 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 64 g
(Nutrition information in our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)