(Adapted from the talented Brooke McClay on Babble)
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (I’m sure you can use white too)
- 1 can vanilla frosting (I only used about a quarter of it)
- 1 12-ounce package blue candy melts
- 1 package mini m & m’s
- Mini marshmallows~one for each pop (I ended up with 13 pops)
- Food coloring pastes~purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red
- Block of styrofoam to hold pops while they dry
- Mix up cake batter as directed on the box.
- Separate the cake batter into six bowls with 1/2 cup of batter in each bowl.
- Tint each bowl with one of the colors of the food coloring. (I had enough cake batter left for a one layer 5-inch cake which I’m saving for later in the freezer. I suppose I could have made more colored batter/pops, but followed Brooke’s directions.)
- Spoon each cake color into two cupcake wrappers, and bake in a muffin tin according to package directions. You will have a dozen cupcakes.
- In six small bowls, crumble each cupcake color by color into fine crumbs. Add just enough vanilla frosting to create a playdoh like consistency with each of the colors. I only needed to add about a full teaspoon of frosting to each.
- In your palm, press a small amount of red cake dough, then press a bit of orange on top.
- Follow with yellow, green, blue, and purple, then roll the dough into balls.
- In a small, deep, microwave-safe bowl, heat the candy melts according to the directions on the package.
- Press the end of a lollipop stick into the melted chocolate, then press that end into the center of your cake ball, about halfway.
- Allow the candy melts to harden at room temperature.
- Gently dip each cake ball into the candy melts. Allow any excess to drizzle back into the bowl before pressing the bottom of the lollipop stick into a piece of styrofoam.
- Allow the cake pops to cool upright.
For rainbow/clouds decoration:
- When the pops have dried, use the leftover (there should be some left) melted candy melts to adhere the rainbows and clouds.
- Cut a mini marshmallow in half and flatten with your fingers.
- With a toothpick add a bit of candy melt to the back (sticky part) of the marshmallow and place on the pop. Add the other marshmallow cloud.
- Use a toothpick and add a dot of candy melt to the back of each (blue, green, yellow, orange, red) m & m (one at a time) and place in an arch between the marshmallow clouds.
- Stick each pop in the styrofoam block to dry.