This is my second vlog, and as you can tell, I havent quite got the hang of it yet, but I will persist. In this vlog, Im demonstrating how to cook the perfect steak, Heston Blumenthal-style.
There are 5 key principles:
1. Use a cast iron pan and get it smoking hot.
2. Oil the steak, not the pan.
3. Season the steak with sea salt, but not pepper before cooking (the pepper will burn). Add pepper after cooking.
4. Flip the steak every 15 seconds so that it cooks all the way through and to get a caramelised crust something known as the Maillard reaction.
5. Allow the steaks to rest for a full 5 minutes on a rack over a plate so that the juices return back to the centre of the meat.
The perfect steak should be medium-rare and will take approx. 2-3 mins, though my wife and I prefer ours rare.
This recipe is for Hestons Beef Tagliare, taken from his cookbook Heston Blumenthal at Home.
2 sirloin steaks, trimmed
Handful of rocket leaves
Peel of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 rosemary sprigs
3 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Sear the steaks and leave to rest. Take the pan off the heat.
2. Meanwhile, in the same pan, add the ingredients for the dressing. Mix together, then drain through a sieve into a bowl.
3. Slice the steaks very thinly, approx 1 cm. Drizzle with half the dressing. Add the rocket leaves and Parmesan shavings. Drizzle over the rest of the dressing. I also served ours with baked new potatoes.