This is a recipe that’s been handed down from my grandma, I’ve adapted it a little bit and used individual ramekins but you can also use a larger dish and serve it as one dish.
1hr 40mins – Prep time: 20 mins – Cooking time: 1hr – 1 1/2hrs
- 1oz plain unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 small tin of pineapple rings (roughly 140g)
- 1/2 pint milk
- 2 dessert spoon plain flour
- 4oz caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
Oven temp: 120°C /250°F
- Seperate pineapple rings from juice. Save juice for later. Chop up pineapple into small slices.
- Heat milk until warm, but not boiling
- In a seperate pan, melt the butter on a low heat. Mix flour in slowly whisking out any lumps. Cook for a further minute or so until the mixture goes like bread crumbs when whisked to make a roux.
- Add the juice to the milk and stir. The total liquid should be 1/2 pint. If there’s not enough, add more milk.
- Stir milk/pineapple juice mixture slowly into the roux whisking to prevent lumps. Stir in sugar and egg yolk.
- Heat for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Stir in pineapple slices.
- Divide mixture between 3 or 4 ramekins.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Divide meringue between dishes and smooth out with a spoon.
- Put ramekins on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours until meringue is hard on top and has gently browned on top.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream if desired.