This was inspired by Creative Review’s tweet about Bailey’s cheesecake which is an adaptation of a Nigella Lawson recipe. I liked the idea of using Daim bar in the base, but I quite fancied cheesecake with apple as I’d never tried it. In fact, this is the first cheesecake I’ve ever made!
3hr 30mins – Prep time: 30mins – Cooking time: 1hr – Cooling time: 2hrs
- 125g Oat biscuits (I used Hob Nobs)
- 125g Digestive biscuits
- 80g butter
- 3 Daim bars
- 1/2tsp cinammon
- pinch of salt
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 100g soft cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 1tsp vanilla essence)
- 4tsp light brown sugar
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 bramley apple, peeled and sliced into 1cm pieces
- 1tsp cinammon
Oven temp: 160°C /320°F
- Make the apple mixture. Melt the butter on a low heat in the saucepan and add the apple. Mix together and allow to cook for 1 minute before adding 2tsp light brown sugar.
- Cover and allow to cook gently for 3-4 minutes when the apples will go soft. Stir in the cinnamon and remaining sugar. Leave to cool.
- Make the cheesecake base. Take the Daim bars, put in a plastic bag and beat with a rolling pin until the Daim bars are in rough pieces.
- Then add the biscuits to the bag and beat again until everything is in fine crumbs but not dust.
- Melt the butter and combine with the biscuit crumbs in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the cinnamon and salt and mix well.
- In a 23cm springform pan, press the biscuit mixture down evenly in the bottom of the pan. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Make the cheesecake mixture. In a large mixing bowl mix add the mascarpone cheese and soft cream cheese. Add each egg one at a time whisking until the mixture is smooth. Then whisk in the vanilla and caster sugar.
- Add about half of the apple mixture to the cheesecake mixture and fold in.
- Remove cheesecake base from the fridge and pour mixture on top.
- By hand, gently add the remaining apple on top, then push into the mixture with a spoon
- Place in the oven for about 50-60 mins or until the top is just browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 hours. Store in the fridge. Serve with a dusting of cinnamon.