Summer fruits Victoria sponge
Monday, October 19, 2009
A classic recipe that’s sure to impress anyone! It’s so easy to make it look stunning, fresh fruit really sets it off. I use buttercream to fill it with fresh cream on top with a little lemon juice and rind to cut through the sweetness of the filling. You can use any kind of topping, I love using brightly coloured strawberries but you could use cherries and fill with cherry jam or whatever’s in season.
30mins – Prep time: 10mins – Cooking time: 20 mins
- 6oz golden caster sugar
- 6oz margarine (I use Stork)
- 6oz self raising flour
- 3 medium/large eggs (get them out of the fridge beforehand to warm up to room temp)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste/5 drops vanilla essence
- 100g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 8 tbsp strawberry jam
- 100ml thick double cream
- 2 tbsp lemon
- Rind 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 8 strawberries
- 6 blackberries
InstructionsOven temp: 160°C/320°F
- Grease and line 2 round tins (I used 17cm wide x 2cm deep).
- Make the sponge: Whisk the eggs and sugar for at least 4 minutes with an electric hand whisk and beat air into the mix so it fluffs up.
- Bit by bit, sieve in the flour and baking powder and add bits of butter, whisking the mixture each time to ensure a smooth texture, until fully mixed, then mix in the vanilla paste or essence.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and smooth over.
- Place in the oven for 25mins until the sponge is springy to the touch
- Remove from tins, peel off greaseproof paper and leave to cool on wire racks
- Make the lemon cream: Sieve the icing sugar into the cream and add 1/2 the lemon rind. Mix together with an electric whisk until it’s stiff enough to hold without moving.
- Make the butter cream: Blend icing sugar and butter together with an electric whisk until the butter pales and goes soft.
- Put the cake together: Spread buttercream with a palette knife on one sponge base and a thick layer of strawberry jam on the other. Sandwich together.
- Using the pallette knife spread the fresh cream onto the top of the cake, leaving sponge visible around the edge
- Dust with a little icing sugar if desired and finish by sprinkling the remaining lemon rind on the top
One Response to “Summer fruits Victoria sponge”
Leave a Comment:
or enter your details below