Summer strawberries, mmm delicious! The strawberry flavouring you can buy in bottles has a very artificial taste, but making your own sauce is so incredibly easy, there’s no reason not make it. Plus any leftovers could easily be drizzled over some icecream. I loved opening up the cake box and letting the smell of fresh strawberry hit me.
- 15 strawberries
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g butter
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- Hot pink sanding sugar
- Remove stalks and slice strawberries into about 6 pieces each. Place them in a saucepan with the sugar and simmer over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally. The strawberries will go very slushy.
- Use a masher to gently squash all the strawberries and simmer with the lid off for another 2 minutes.
- Run the sauce through a sieve to remove all the pips and pulp and leave to cool.
- Follow the instructions from the basic cupcake recipe to make the cupcakes, spooning 2tbsp of strawberry sauce into the batter with step 3.
- To make the buttercream: Using an electric mixer, mix the icing sugar and butter together until fluffy and creamy. Add 4 tbsp of strawberry sauce and the milk and whisk again until smooth. If you wish to make the cupcake swirl illustrated in the picture, you’ll need to make sure the mixture is stiff enough to hold until set, so add a little more icing sugar if needs be.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle a little pink sanding sugar around the outside rim of the cupcake.
Need help learning the swirl? Watch this fab video from youtube – I just don’t reverse the palette knife back the other way.