Add some zing to your chocolate cupcakes with a hint of orange!
50mins – Prep time: 35mins – Cooking time: 15mins
- 200g self raising flour
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g margarine
- 80g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 6 drops orange essence
- 4 tbsp juice from orange
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- Rind 1/2 an orange
- 120g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 3tbsp juice from orange
- 3 drops orange essence
- 80g plain chocolate
- Ringe 1/2 an orange to decorate
Oven temp: 180°C/320°F
- Lay out cupcake cases (about 18). If you use silicon you can lay them on a flat baking tray, if you use paper ones, I advise using a bun tin to make the cakes hold their shape.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar for at least 4 minutes with an electric hand whisk and beat air into the mix so it fluffs up.
- Bit by bit, sieve in the flour and baking powder and add bits of butter, whisking the mixture each time to ensure a smooth texture, until fully mixed, then mix in the orange essence and rind.
- Melt the chocolate and spoon into the chocolate and mix in too.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases, ensuring you smooth the tops down (it doesn’t have to be perfect!)
- Put the cupcakes into the oven for 10-15 minutes until they feel spongey on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly. Meanwhile begin make the frosting by melting the chocolate.
- Mix the butter, icing sugar and orange juice and essence until the mixture goes pale and fluffy, then add the chocolate.
- Pipe chocolate buttercream onto the cupcakes and finish with a few strangs of orange rind